Malaysia:Visa,Kuala Lumpur11:49 PM
The view from Suria KLCC Park
If you remember in the last post,I discussed how beautiful the sunset was while we were descending on the runway at KLIA.Today,I take you to my first visit to Malaysia.We discuss visas,a little bit of my attempt to the Petronas Twin Tower((Malay: Menara Petronas) almost by the midnight and learning a few words with a fellow travel blogger Sankara from beontheroad and Jeevan from Tourism Malaysia.
The Quick Process Called Visas
I sometimes wish the countries were border-less. That we need not stand in long queues.That we need not click our passport size pictures for different countries.That we skip the hassle of immigration.That we fly to any country we wish for in a matter of seconds.But that doesn't happen,never will.
Because there are processes in place,but once you have applied for UK/Canada visa you would know most of the processes are almost similar.All the details are very neatly and clearly mentioned in the vfs site of Malaysia for which the link is http://www.vfsglobal.com/malaysia/india/wrf2.html , and the same is stated as:
- Your Original Passport
- Visa Application Form filled completely with block capital letters and duly signed by the applicant. Note : For applicant applying in Kolkata, Chandigarh and New Delhi VFS (back to back Application Form is to be filled)
- Passport should be valid for at least 6 months upon arrival in Malaysia.
- 3 recent photograph 3.5 * 5 cm 60%-70%of face appearance in white background only(For applicant applying in Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Pune 2 recent photograph 3.5 cm x 4.5cm -80% of Face appearance in white background only)
- Confirmed returned air-ticket with flight details & E-ticket no. (Original and copy).
- Covering letter
- Invitation letter (Incase business and visiting family copy of sponsor passport and supporting document).
- If applicant holding fresh Passport than last three months bank statement need to be submitted which should be certified by the concern bank (Original Stamp of Bank).
- Proof of Stay(optional)
- One DD for Rs 1000.00 ( Rupees One Thousand Only ) in favour of the below payable suggested under Demand Draft Details Location
- 2nd DD for Rs 2000.00 ( Rupees Two Thousand Only ) in favour of SMART DATA PROCESSING SERVICES PVT LTD.
- These draft should be prepared from the national banks of India
Consulate General of Malaysia, Payable at Chennai Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad.
Consulate General of Malaysia, Payable at Mumbai Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Pune
High Commission of Malaysia, New Delhi Delhi, Chandigarh and Kolkata
Malaysia Visa Processing Times
Processing time for Mumbai application is 4 working days w.e.f 04 December 2012
Processing time for Delhi is 04 working day for VTR and VDR (excluding the day of submission at VFS)
Processing time for Chennai is 04 working day (excluding the day of submission at VFS)
Processing time for Kolkata is 05 working days (excluding the day of submission at VFS)
Processing time for Bangalore is 05 working days (excluding the day of submission at VFS)
The list of holidays for VFS are listed here
1 Malaysian Ringgit = 18.77 Rs(Current rate as of 17th Feb 2014)
1 Dollar = 3.3 Ringgit
Some of the tricks of the exchange are never exchange on Airports.You will find better rates with Axis
bank/Centrum/Western Union etc in the city in India.If they are not providing you with Ringgits because its not a popular currency,you can withdraw money from any ATM in KL with your debit/credit card.Do not exchange first in dollars (3% currency loss) in India and then in Ringgits(again 3% loss) in Malaysia,because that would result in 6% of currency loss.
Malaysian Sim Card
Buying Sim in any country is easy.If you read my previous post on Abu Dhabi,we bought the sim from the airport.Instead of choosing a number back home in India for international purpose,choose a number abroad.That ways,it gets cheaper and you also sometimes have new offers you can try.I bought the Malaysian sim from the airport for 9 ringgits with 5 ringgits talk time,free incoming and free internet.If you have time,you can get better deals in KL town.What they require is your passport for scan and you get your sim for the amount they suggest.
Kuala Lumpur: Places,Batik
The flight slowly landed.Now was the time to explore Kuala Lumpur. But Alas! It was late.It was almost 6:30 pm when we arrived.A smiling Jeevan stood on the gate,holding a play card.A little in doubt,I waved my hand and so did he.So he was the one who had come to be with us,to show us around,to give insight on a perspective as a local.It all began with Batik on his shirt.
"Batik he said is a textile art of Malaysia.Batik in Malaysia is different from Thailand or Phillipines as here we don't use too much of animal or human forms in the design patterns instead we use more subtle leaves and flowers as the motifs."
My Eye Set For Patronas
The city of Kuala Lumpur is far from the airport if you take a Taxi.The best way to get in the city is to catch a express train which takes a quick 20 minutes to reach the city.
The first day was our stay at Prince Hotel & Residence Kuala Lumpur.I reached the hotel,by around 9 pm and even way before we entered,I could spot The Petronas Twin tower right at the back. Watta view,was what came out of my mouth!I must go to the Twin Towers come what may and It should be tonite. Just then,the hunger pangs started knocking all parts of my stomach(Honestly Airplane food is just airplane food :)) and we set our eyes for the delicacies which were many.For me,I was keen to try everything new,and it indeed was something I have had never tasted,but was tasty to the core.
So in the next post,we enjoy the peaceful Taiping and the Celebration called Chinese New Year.The lions,the dragons,the crackers...et all.We also have a video coming up! So till then enjoy.